Sport Fitness Training
- by admin
- 2 August, 2018
There are two aspects of performance in any sport, one is skill and the other is fitness.
For peak performance in any sports, the fitness level of the player is as important as the techniques and skills. Your sports Coach can help you learn Sports Techniques and Skills which will enhance quality of your game.
For Sport Fitness you need a Fitness Coach who will be able to design a specific fitness program which will enhance your sports performance.
In India we see that the Sports Fitness is mostly neglected which affects the players performance at the top level. Traditionally it was believed that playing a sport in itself is sufficient to maintain fitness. Normally it is seen that the Sports Coach guides the player about fitness, which may not be sufficient. Most coaches do not have the required knowledge about the fitness program needed by the player. So it is important to team up with the Fitness Trainer who has the specific knowledge and expertise to help the player achieve specific fitness goals. For example the fitness requirement of a fast bowler is different than that of a batsman.
General fitness involves five basic components – cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, muscular strength, flexibility and body composition (the proportion of muscle and fat in your body).
Sports involve various complex movements which are not only based on basic components of fitness, but as well need other components like Speed, Power, agility, Balance and Mind-Muscle coordination. These sports specific physical components can be developed only if you have the Basic Fitness components in place.
A qualified fitness professional will help a sports person in a structured way to achieve desired results. A sports fitness program will involve following steps
1. Fitness Analysis – This will assess you on all the fitness components and will identify the weak and strong points of your physical abilities for the specific sport.
2. Strength Conditioning – This is the most neglected component of fitness by sport persons and sport coaches. Strength is the key component of any sport. Most sports place very high stress on the body. If the body is not conditioned to withstand, it will result in drop in performance and even injuries in certain cases.
3. Endurance Conditioning – Endurance conditioning involve both, Cardiovascular endurance and Muscular endurance. Training methods for both are different. Fitness coach will help you plan the workouts for both.
4. Power, Speed & Agility Conditioning – These are the sport specific fitness parameters which have to be addressed individually.
5. Injury Prevention – Sport puts extreme stress on your body. If the body is not well prepared, injuries are very common. Apart from muscles, other connective tissues like Tendons and Ligaments are under stress as well. Specialized exercises are required to strengthen them by designing functional movements which will mimic the movements in the sports to strengthen these connective tissues.
In all to perform at the highest level, along with the sports skills, physical fitness is of utmost importance. Improvements in physical abilities go a long way in improving performance and keep you injury free.
ACE Certified Trainer